Unfortunately, Bekah's marathon training was halted last week when she learned she is anemic. She had been feeling unusually tired for a few weeks and went to the doctor to have her blood tested. Sure enough, her hematocrit level (percentage of blood carrying red blood cells) was only 23%. A normal value for females is 36%. Needless to say, Bekah's doctors were alarmed by her low rates and ordered her to stop any type of exercise until the number rises. She had a blood transfusion last week, is taking iron supplements three times a day, and will continue to have her blood levels tested weekly for the coming weeks. The doctors are hopeful Bekah will have enough high enough levels to run the marathon, which is three weeks from tomorrow. We are thankful Bekah's anemia was found before it got worse.During the past week and a half, God has been teaching Bekah a lot. This is what she has to say about what she has learned so far:
For the past four months I have been so disciplined in my training regimen. Even the dark, cold nights, early Saturday mornings, and a hungry husband did not keep me from going out for these runs. I had everything planned perfectly as to how I would train for the marathon. In addition, my body was functioning perfectly to help me run 4, 6, or 18 miles. When one small detail (an iron level) was not in the range it should be, suddenly my previously perfect training schedule was wrecked. When normally an athlete is told to push harder, I have been told to rest. It is so close to marathon day, and I have been told to rest.
It is now that I sit here and recognize that my strength (physical and emotional) truly is a gift from God, and something I have little control over. God is the one who formed me in my mother’s womb and created my body to function appropriately. It’s pretty amazing to me – every heart beat, every breath in and out, every movement of my legs – God has coordinated all of this. He has given each step to me. It is He who gave me movement in my legs and gave me a joy for running. He has given my body strength since my first step, and it is He who can restore my body to strength in the coming weeks. To God be the glory!
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
--2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Keep checking Bekah's fundraising page for updates about her training. She has now raised over $3,000 for Brigham & Women's Hospital and has about $500 left to raise before marathon day!
Hey Bekah! Sorry to hear about the setback. We are praying for you and really hope you can still run!
ReplyDeleteMan, that is tough news! I hope that you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteWish you were closer where I could mother you with lots of good iron-rich cooking and attention!
ReplyDeleteMom Sage